Saturday, 16 March 2013

Deciding You're Done

I made a decision the other day. I decided that this round of beta reads on twelve o'clock would be the LAST.

That's it. After that, I'm going to be done.

I've been working on this one novel for YEARS (writing other novels in the meantime.) But this is the one novel I've always come back to.

I feel slightly empty as I prepare myself for these last few weeks of revisions. But, of course, there are other books to be written and new worlds to explore.

For me, it feels like it's time. I literally cannot bear the thought of endlessly tweaking THIS word and THAT word. I am proud of what I've written.

What about you? How do you know when you're done with a project? Have you ever let yourself become seriously attached to a project so that when you reached the end you were sort of like:

:O 
 (Look how lovely this emotion is! Made out of grammar. BEAUTIFUL.)
I hate you, lovely book, but I also love you, horrible book. 
I don't want this to be goodbye but at the same time

I need to write other books and you need to stop
BUGGING ME.

8 comments:

  1. I think for me I know I'm done when I feel that any of the changes I might make aren't going to result in much of an improvement to my writing. In a way, you're never really completely done because probably you could always find more little things to change, but eventually you just have to draw the line somewhere and recognize that the energy you're putting in to the thing is no longer worth the amount of change and improvement that you're getting out of it. Sometimes it can be such a relief to just say "I am done with this!" and then move on. Even if it's something that I've really loved working on, it is a relief to be done with it at last.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for that! It's given me something to think about.

      Delete
  2. For something you've worked on for such a long time, the answer is just to decide - to mark a day in your diary and stick to it - especially if you plan to submit to a publisher because they'll have their own ideas for further edits. Well done for making the decision!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this: "I hate you, lovely book, but I also love you, horrible book".

    Perfect. :)

    I think you know inside when it's done. I often get a 'bell' feeling, something rings inside me - it's done.

    The funny thing, I'll go back later, and I can still make improvements, and I may. But I was right. For that moment, I was done with that work, and I needed to move on to something else.

    You'll know, Ravena. Trust your instincts. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been trusting my instincts a LOT lately! :D

      Delete
  4. There does come a point when you have to realize you've done all you can, for the moment, and trust that those beta readers will set you straight if they see a problem. Then, if need be, you fix any problems and hope the work is good enough for the publishers. Send it out on its own and wait for the responses. Months later, you've either sold it or realize it may still need some work. If it hasn't been sold, you work on it some more, ask your beta readers what they think, correct any problems and send it out to other publishers. Repeat as necessary or self publish. Good luck! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! That's really helpful advice :)

      Delete