Wednesday, 20 March 2013

I Wanna Know: I Think I've Written A Fantasy Science Fiction And I Don't Know What To Do

My book has aliens and galaxies and is a giant adventure across the universe. So I call it a science fiction.

But the other day my wonderful CP, Heather, pointed out something which should have been really obvious to me.

There are LOADS of elements of fantasy in my book. Like the TARDIS in Doctor Who being bigger on the inside than the outside type stuff. For me, it's clothes randomly changing, planets which stick you in different places dependent on their mood, special air which turns you into a giant.

FANTASY stuff.

Do I pitch a fantasy science fiction? Because I really want these elements in my book. They're the sort of stuff I loved to read about when I was younger... wacky, new worlds, and bold adventures, with humour and stuff. What I still love to read about now. (MG is AWESOME in case you don't read it.)

I wrote what I wanted to read.

Do I NEED to remove the fantasy elements, and explain them in a science fiction way? (You know, bending scientific principals e.t.c?) Is it alright for my book to be a fantasy science fiction? I know that fantasy and science fiction cross over a lot, but mine's a MAJOR crossover.

Help, oh wise people?

10 comments:

  1. There is a lot of cross-genre cropping up these days. I think if it is mainly SF, then list it as so. When I think of fantasy I don't think of the elements you listed. When I think of fantasy it's swords, knights, horses, medieval-type worlds, magic . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll say "light SF with fantasy elements." It's catchy :D

      Delete
  2. If I were you, I wouldn't remove those fantastical elements simply because it's set out in space. There are many types of science fiction. There's the hard-core technobabble type with the science playing a major role and then there's the sci-fi that deals more with the human elements of the situation. Whether the science part of it is based on real principles or magical ones, if it's set in space I'd promote it as science fiction rather than fantasy, as myrandommuse has already stated.

    Another way to look at it is as 'speculative fiction'. This term encompasses a broad realm of fiction from sci-fi to fantasy to horror. I think if you mentioned to publishers that it falls under this 'umbrella', they should be able to classify it as whatever they want for the book stores. Hope this helps. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to have a look into speculative fiction. That sounds like a nice way of marketing it :D

      Delete
  3. It sounds like you have fabulously fun ideas - don't take them out! Genre mash-ups are in vogue these days. Yours sounds like Fantasy/Light Sci-Fi, and it reminds me of "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy." No one made the author take fantasy ideas out of that one. Just write what you love and don't worry about putting a label on it. Good luck! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really want to read that book! Thank you!

      Delete
  4. Goodness, keep it as is. It sounds totally fun, and if it's the type of book you'd like to read, I bet that's true for others too.

    My sense is that cross-genre doesn't matter in MG at all. It all melds together - science, magic. It's with adult science fiction and fantasy that you'll find purists who complain. Even then, I think you still should write the book you want to write, but with MG - absolutely no worries!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally did the same thing! I think this is getting to be a 'thing' in a lot of published books too. Cinder is kind of Sci-Fi/Fantasy, as is Shatter Me, and Kat Zhang (who wrote What's Left of Me -- a sci-fi/paranormal) has often said we should start promoting a new genre: Sci-Fantasy

    Totally keep it as is. A lot of agents are actually liking the idea of genre-bending novels!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I asked an agent about it on twitter and she was like GO FOR IT! So I don't feel so nervous about it.

      Delete