Sunday, 11 August 2013

Paper Wishes Blog Tour: Interview with Jennifer M Eaton (codename: Super Eaton.)




HEY READERS AND ALIENS AND CHEESE THAT CAN READ.
 So, Jennifer M Eaton, author is on tour, and her rickety tour bus is rolling in at this blog. We've had her here before, and if you want to check out her previous interview for 'Last Winter Red, go ahead!
 Back to now. Over chocolate and cheese (not really) we discussed 'Paper Wishes', a festive romance. Here's the tagline:

Paper Wishes:  Jill has no idea what she wants for Christmas, but when it looks like her best friend Jack is going to get exactly what he asks for, Jill makes a Christmas wish that will change both of their lives forever. 
 And after that short whiff of awesomeness, let's get down to that interview!
 
1) Reading your blog, I've noticed you like things to blow up. 'Paper Wishes' is different to a lot of the stuff you've done in the past. What made you write it? 
I have a tragic flaw.  I am hyper-competitive, and someone challenged me to write a romance.  It was winter at the time, so I grabbed that as a season, and I threw in a little holiday magic to make it more interesting to me. Poof!  A romance writer is born. 
2) Was there any reason you chose the names Jack and Jill for your main characters? Are there any hidden links to the nursery rhyme?
Ha!  No link at all.  When I started writing, I wasn’t totally serious about it. I used the names Jack and Jill as placeholders, expecting to change them later.  As I was writing though, I became quite fond of the characters, and the names just seemed to fit.  I figured that there are probably a lot of couples out there with the names Jack and Jill, so this is a nod to people who hear the obvious joke every day.
3) What would you say Jill's biggest flaw is? What about Jack's? (Flawed characters are the BEST.)
Jill’s biggest flaw is that she cares too much about others.  Specifically, her daughter.  Jill is the product of a broken marriage, and thinks little of herself. In her mind, her daughter has more value, and she sacrifices herself to make Nicky happy.  She has to learn that making herself happy can have a snowball effect.
Jack’s biggest flaw is fear.  He’s in love with Jill, but he’s afraid to approach her because they are already best friends, and he doesn’t want to ruin that.  He pushes his feelings aside, hiding under the guise that Jill is not “ready” to date after her divorce. He hides his feelings so deeply that he convinces himself he loves another, when deep down he knows this woman will make him miserable.
4) If you could sum 'Paper Wishes' up in just five words, what would they be and why?
“Careful what you wish for.”   
Yep.  That’s just perfect.  Paper Wishes is all about three wishes that come true.  The thing is, you are not always sure what you wish for, or that your wish will come true in the way you intended.  Surprises are the spice of life, right?
5) If you were to meet Jill in real life, what advice would you give her?

Let your hair down.  Have a little fun. But not too much fun.  Happiness falls somewhere between the comfort Jill is accustomed to, and Jack’s “live life to the fullest” attitude.

6) Are you a plotter or a butt in chair and hope for the best kind of person?
I used to write by the seat of my pants, and it was very fun.  It was like sitting down to a TV show every time I wrote.  I never knew what would happen.  The result, though, was hundreds of thousands of words (Literally—like 800 pages) of mostly unusable material.
Since I started plotting and thinking the whole story through before I got started, good things started happening for me. I am now a big fan of the outline.
7) What sort of things will you be working on next? Fantasy or contemporary? Young adult or adult? Have you ever considered writing Middle Grade (speaking as a completely objective third party. Ahem.)
Ahem - on middle grade – I did try it once.  It was in my pantsing stage, and it was really great.  The problem is, I hit a point and didn’t know where to go with it. It is one of the few unfinished manuscripts I have. 
In September, my very first young adult story “The First Day of the New Tomorrow” is coming out from Muse it Up Publishing.  I’m really excited about it because it shows a little more of the “real me.” (And yes, that means things will explode)
I’m currently querying a YA urban fantasy, also heavy on the explosions, called “Fire in the Woods”.  This one I am really looking forward to getting out there, as it’s my favorite kind of story – The chase novel Yahoo!
In my writing cue I have a New Adult Dystopian story based in Terra, the city featured in my story Last Winter Red from the Make Believe anthology.  I’m excited about this one, because I received such great reviews on Last Winter Red, and a few request for more stories in this world. I hope to finish the first draft by mid-September, and move in to the editing phase.
After that, I have a neat dragon story plotted out, but who knows, I may have another idea calling to me by then. 
8) Anything else you want to add? (Other than how awesome aliens and cheese are?)

Aliens and cheese are particularly awesome.  Especially cheddar cheese.  Extra sharp… the perfect snack after thwarting an alien takeover with lots of explosions. 



***
Jennifer M. Eaton is a contemporary blender of Science Fiction, Dystopian, and Romance.  Her work ranges from the sweet contemporary romances of Paper Wishes, to the dystopian society of Last Winter Red and Optimal Red, with a dusting of young adult paranormal just for fun in The First Day of the New Tomorrow.
While not off visiting other worlds, Jennifer calls the East Coast of the USA home, where she lives with her wonderfully supportive husband, three energetic boys, and a pepped up poodle. 
Full time team leader, full time mom, and full time novelist... what more can you ask for?  Writing help did you say?  Well, sure!  Jennifer hosts an informational blog aimed at helping all writers be the best they can be. Stop on by and chat. She loves to hear from fans! http://www.jennifermeaton.com/
***
Her Contemporary Sweet Romance, Paper Wishes is currently available in ebook format.  The Dystopian novelette “Last Winter Red” is available as part of the “Make Believe” Anthology.   Each title is available from Amazon.com and Barnesandnoble.com and Smashwords.
Paper Wishes:  Jill has no idea what she wants for Christmas, but when it looks like her best friend Jack is going to get exactly what he asks for, Jill makes a Christmas wish that will change both of their lives forever. 
Last Winter Red:  In search of a husband, Emily leaves the safety of the city and risks her life stepping into the outside world.  What she finds there will question the foundations of everything she believes in.
The First Day of the New Tomorrow: Maya dreams of having everything she wants, but when she gets it, she can’t give it back fast enough. (Coming in September, 2013 from Muse It Up)

 



Make Believe Purchase Links

/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top


Paper Wishes Purchase links

3 comments:

  1. Great interview. Very interesting (good questions, Ravena). I wish I could just write a romance novel out of feeling competitive! :)

    You sold me on the book - I've been looking for a light-hearted romance. I just went to Amazon and downloaded it.

    Love the idea of wishes tied with romance, adds a sort of magical twist, and fun if they go off alittle. :)

    Looking forward to reading your new book, Jennifer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay that's great! I'm sure Jennifer will be pleased :D Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete